Join our university - as soon as possible, full-time and Temporary until 31.12.2026 position as
Research Associate – Edge Computing (IT-Systems)
Faculty of Computer Science
(Salary level: 13 TV-L)
Today, edge computing is one of the most exciting areas in the computer and network industry. Together with leading industry partners project EMULATE will develop an innovative toolset to improve the performance for demanding edge applications (e.g., autonomous driving, augmented reality, drone control).
Your future field of work:
- Developing tools to measure and analyse the performance of edge applications in IT-systems (e.g. server, user devices)
- Creating new IT-system-related approaches to optimize the performance of edge applications
- Contributing to the edge emulation and edge diagnostics toolsets
- Identifying your own research areas in alignment with the project objectives and constraints
- Creating scientific publications on edge research for conferences and journals
- Working in an excellent lab environment (e.g., 5G campus network, high-performance server cluster)
- Working in an interdiciplinary, international team of IT, network and application experts
You are passionate about computer science or related subject matter areas with a high affinity to research. You hold a master degree in information technology or computer science or an adjacent field. Ideally you have already demonstrated your passion for what you do with some professional experience.
Your area of qualifications and expertise includes some of the following:
- Solid know-how and experience with IT-systems and embedded systems
- Good knowledge and experience of software development (object oriented languages)
- Basic knowledge about networking (e.g. TCP/IP, Ethernet)
- Basic knowledge about virtualization-, container- and orchestration technologies
- Willingness to learn about edge computing, system performance optimization, 5G / 6G technologies and applied artificial intelligence
- A good level of written and spoken English is mandatory for this position, German language skills are not required.
For more details about projekt EMULATE refer to: https://www.fh-dortmund.de/en/projekte/emulate.php
We are looking forward to applications by an open-minded, inquisitive and committed person with a sense for the essential and thinking outside of the box.
As an employer, Fachhochschule Dortmund...
- offers - the advantages of working in public service, in particular employment under the Collective Agreement for Public Service of the Federal States (TV-L).
- promotes - the application of the latest scientific findings and the ongoing development through an extensive range of further education and training opportunities.
- focusses - on family and health by providing flexible work-/part-time solutions, telework/home office as well as offers by the Family Service and Health Management.
- provides - a modern university environment characterized by unique campus locations and good accessibility in the middle of the vibrant Ruhr Metropolis Dortmund.
We encourage applications of qualified persons with severe disabilities and persons with disabilities with equivalent status in accordance with section 2 of the German Social Security Code (SGB) IX. We are also aiming to increase the proportion of women at our university and therefore particularly welcome applications from female candidates. This position is also suitable for part-time employment.