Technische Universität Braunschweig is one of Germany’s leading institutes of technology and offers an inspiring work environment with a wide range of research and teaching opportunities in state-of-the-art facilities. The 3,800 members of our academic, technical and administrative staff – including more than 400 international scientific staff – work together to ensure that our university successfully fulfils its mission of providing excellent teaching for our approximately 17,000 students and 100 trainees.
We focus our research on mobility, metrology, engineering for health, and the future city. Our core disciplines include a comprehensive engineering division and a strong natural sciences division, closely linked with business sciences, social sciences, educational sciences, and the humanities.
Our university is located at the heart of one of Europe’s most research-intensive regions. We cooperate closely with the more than 20 internationally renowned research institutions in our vicinity and our network extends to our partner universities in Germany and all over the world, with whom we maintain strong relationships.
Faculty of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Environmental Sciences
Institute of Building Materials, Concrete Construction and Fire Safety
We offer a
W3 Professorship for Building Materials
The appointment is for the earliest possible date.
The successful candidate (f/m/d) will be expected to represent the field of "Building Materials" in the Faculty of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Environmental Sciences in an internationally visible manner and further develop the university's excellent scientific profile in this area of research in an innovative way.
Fundamental and applied research in the field of Building Materials should mainly focus on the socially relevant future topics of digitalization in the construction industry, CO2-minimized production of building materials, circular construction, and the preservation of building inventory in the field of building and infrastructure construction. The interaction of material, production process and shape-finding is of central importance, especially in new digitally-controlled construction methods such as Additive Manufacturing. Accordingly, interdisciplinary cooperation with other specialist areas of the faculty is a prerequisite.
Possible fields of research:
- Materials, production methods, robotic systems and testing methods in the additive manufacturing of concrete components, as well as core topics of additive manufacturing in construction, such as material-process interaction, reinforcement integration, productivity, resource efficiency and durability of additively manufactured concrete components,
- Development of sustainable composite materials that promote the reduction of climate-impacting emissions as well as the conservation and efficient use of resources,
- High-performance concretes, such as high-strength, self-compacting, or exposed concretes for the realization of thinner cross-sections, larger structural widths and/or attractive exposed concrete components,
- Rheology control to achieve specifically designated concrete properties,
- Durability of cement-bond building materials, corrosion monitoring, and lifespan management of concrete structures,
- Innovative composites and alternative materials such as clay,
- Interactions between component materials/surfaces and environmental effects caused by water or air.
The successful candidate (f/m/d) is expected to be committed to the university’s strategic goals and to actively shape its holistic development (https://www.tu-braunschweig.de/hochschulentwicklung). In addition to the classic service areas of a university (research, teaching and studies, transfer, governance and administration), this applies in particular to digitalisation, internationalisation, equality and diversity, as well as knowledge exchange.
The professorship goes hand in hand with the management of the Division of Building Materials at the Institute of Building Materials, Concrete Construction and Fire Safety (iBMB). In teaching, the core subject Construction Materials Technology must be represented at full scope in the basic subjects of the Bachelor's degree course (in German) and in the Master's degree course in Civil and Industrial Engineering in German and English. In addition, the professorship of Building Materials is involved with lectures in the Architecture and Environmental Engineering degree programs. Furthermore, active participation in the development of the research focus area “Future City” (“Stadt der Zukunft”), especially in the field of digital construction fabrication, is desired. It is intended that the professorship will participate in the management of the Braunschweig Civil Engineering Materials Testing Institute (MPA) as a member of the scientific board.
We furthermore expect:
- The successful candidate (f/m/d) will have a proven track record in science and practice and several years of professional experience. Scientific excellence should be demonstrated through publication activity in international, peer-reviewed journals and through successful acquisition of third-party funding. Experience in applying for and working on projects from scientifically demanding third-party funding bodies such as the DFG or the ERC is appreciated.
- International networking
- Practical experience in the field of Building Materials Technology can be proven by performance of advisory, planning or management functions in projects as well as participation in standardization or expert committees
- Didactic aptitude, language skills for teaching in German and English
- Experience in interdisciplinary cooperation
- Willingness to actively participate in faculty matters and committees
- Ability to work in a team and social skills
Individual career decisions and career breaks due to parental/family care leave affecting research output will be taken into account by the appointment committee.
Requirements, § 25 NHG
- University Degree
- Pedagogical aptitude (to be demonstrated by, among other things, a demonstration lesson)
- Special qualification for in-depth independent scientific work, as a rule proven by an above-average doctorate
- Additional academic achievements, usually within the framework of a junior professorship, a post-doctoral degree (Habilitation) or through achievements equivalent to a Habilitation.
Technische Universität Braunschweig makes personnel decisions on the basis auf suitability, ability and professional performance.
Our aim is to increase the share of women in academic positions. Therefore, we particularly welcome applications from women and will give preference to female candidates with equivalent qualifications. People with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply and, if equally qualified, will be given preference in the appointment process.
Technische Universität Braunschweig is certified as a family-friendly university. We are committed to facilitating a healthy and productive work-life balance and offer a dual career service as well as support for newly appointed staff. Our Family Office provides advice on all issues relating to family, childcare, and caring for relatives. Our “Prof.-Programm” offers exclusive status-related exchange and consulting formats, in particular to newly appointed professors.
Professional and Personnel Development promotes the professional development of all employees through a wide range of courses and activities.
The university actively endorses equal opportunities and diversity and promotes diverse perspectives as essential in contributing to the university’s success in research, teaching, transfer and administration.
We particularly invite applications from international candidates (f/m/d). German language skills are not a prerequisite. However, the successful candidate is expected to acquire sufficient language skills to perform teaching and administrative duties in German within two years of appointment.
Even though this is a permanent full-time position, a part-time appointment may be possible upon request.
Applicants (f/m/d) who are 50 years or older at the time the appointment commences and who have not acquired permanent civil servant status (Beamtenverhältnis auf Lebenszeit) will be employed with employee status (Angestelltenverhältnis).
We are looking forward to your application!
Applicants (f/m/d) are requested to attach the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Academic background (curriculum vitae)
- Academic certificates and diplomas (degrees)
- List of publications, including copies of 3 select publications
- Description of practical professional experiences
- Research concept with a list of third-party funds, project code, and description of own participation
- Teaching concept with a list of courses taught, including results of course evaluations
- If applicable, add proof of disability status.
- If applicable, add proof of parental/family care leave
Please submit the application, including all documents, digitally via the online portal (button underneath) of Technische Universität Braunschweig.
Deadline for application
The application deadline is 2024-02-29.
Informal enquiries about the job can be directed to
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Nils Goseberg
T + 49 531 391 3930
For questions regarding legal matters, please contact
T + 49 531 391 4350
For questions regarding the online application process, please contact
T + 49 531 391 14143